Perfect for a warm summer evening, this cool, sweet & spicy fruit curry just hits the spot. Served hot or at room temperature, the sweetness of the mango is perfectly cut with the spicy kick of chilli and the crunch mange tout. Prepare ahead or in 20min after work - so easy, and great with a chilled glass of Sancerre or Pinot Grigio.
Ingredients, for four:
3 ripe champagne mangoes
1 small punnet of mange tout
1 cup canned coconut milk
2 tbsp apricot kernel oil
2 dry red chillies (or pinch red chilli flakes)
1½ tsp mustard seeds
¼ tsp turmeric
1 sprig of curry leaves (dried)
handful of fresh coriander, to serve
- Peel and slice the mangoes into 1cm (1/2 inch) slices.
- Roughly dice the mange tout into diagonal slices.
- Grind ½ tsp mustard seeds with a pestle and mortar, then add in and grind to a paste the chillies, coconut milk, ½ cup of the mango flesh. Set aside.
- Heat the Apricot Kernel oil in a saucepan and add the remaining mustard seeds. When they start frying, add the curry leaves and turmeric.
- Add the mangoes, mange tout and the coconut milk paste. Add a cup of water and stir through. Add salt to taste.
- Heat through until the coconut milk lightly simmers. Remove from the heat and serve hot or at room temperature with basmati rice and some fresh coriander.