Banana? Not to worry, we were also a bit confused at first, but pleasantly surprised by this delightful fruit curry. Savoury and sweet to an equal degree, it's definitely one of the most comforting Indian fruit curries we've tried. The bit of umami from the tomato and the rich flavours from the spices offset the sweetness perfectly.
Try this at home as a wonderfully simple, quick comfort meal or as part of a larger Indian feast.
Ingredients, for 2 people:
3 large bananas, peeled and thickly sliced
1 large tomato, cubed
1 apple, cored and cubed
2tbsp garam masala curry powder
2tbsp cashew nuts, toasted and roughly chopped
1tbsp avocado oil
handful fresh coriander, chopped
salt and black pepper, to taste
rice to serve
- Heat the Avocado oil in a saucepan and sauté the tomato for 2-3 minutes.
- Add the apple and masala powder and cook for 1-2 minutes, stirring, before adding the sultanas and cashew nuts.
- Continue to cook for 5-6 minutes, to soften the apple and to allow the tomato juices to form a sauce.
- Then add the banana and cook for a further 3-4 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Finally, stir in the chopped coriander, season with salt and pepper to taste and serve with rice.