One of our favourite meals on cool Spring evening is this wonderfully spiced bowl of goodness. It’s a great balance between the meaty, savoury flavours of the lentils and chewy fried rice, fragrant spice and the comfy sweetness of butternut squash. Most importantly it’s filling and satisfying, even for our most carnivorous friends.
Ingredients, for 2 people:
2 cups of cooked Basmati rice
1/2 cup lentils, cooked (from can)
1 cup butternut squash, cubed
1/2 lemon, zest and juiced
1/2 tsp cumin, seeds or ground
1/2 tsp ground coriander
1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
1/2 tsp turmeric powder
salt & pepper to taste
handful of fresh coriander, to garnish
- Cook the cubed butternut squash, either for 4 minutes on high in the microwave or boil on stove until easily pierced with a fork. Drain and set aside.
- In a saucepan, heat Avocado or Macadamia oil over medium heat. Add all the spices. Once spices start to lightly fry, add the rice. Stir through to thoroughly coat the rice the oil and spices, and leave to fry for 3 minutes.
- Add the lentils and butternut cubes to the rice and stir through. Leave to heat through the lentils - about 2 minutes.
- Lastly add the lemon zest and juice, and salt and pepper to taste.
- Give it a last stir before dishing up into bowls, with some freshly torn coriander.