We whipped up some seriously punchy Roast Beetroot & Pistachio Shells, served on some creamy buffalo milk ricotta.
Ingredients, for 3-4 people
1 kg small yellow/orange beetroot, scrubbed
340g pasta shells (we used Orgran Gluten-Free)
1 cup buffalo milk ricotta
1/3 cup raw pistachios, peeled
3 tbsp Mokhado Apricot Kernel Oil
3 tsp white wine vinegar
Finely chopped fresh chives, to garnish
Sea salt and black better to taste
- Preheat the oven to 180°C/350°F/ Gas Mark 5
- Cook beetroot whole in a pot of boiling, salted water until just tender - 12-15 minutes. Remove from water, rub off skin with paper towel and slice into 1/2 cm/1/4 in slices.
- Toss beetroot slices with vinegar and 1 tbsp of Apricot Kernel Oil, set aside.
- Toast pistachios on a baking sheet until golden brown - about 10 minutes. Allow to cool, then chop roughly.
- In a bowl, add 1 tbsp of Apricot Kernel Oil to the ricotta and whisk until smooth and combined. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Meanwhile cook pasta following instructions on the packet until al dente. Drain pasta, reserving 1/2 cup of the pasta cooking liquid.
- In a saucepan over medium heat, lightly fry the beetroot in its vinegar mixture, tossing occasionally to cover all sides. Once lightly browned, add in the drained pasta and pasta cooking liquid. Mix the pasta through until coated with beetroot juices and liquid. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- To serve, spoon and spread a dollop of the ricotta around the plate. Cover with a generous helping of pasta and beetroot, and top with the chopped pistachios, chives and a drizzle of Apricot Kernel Oil.
This recipe was inspired by the amazing Dawn K Perry.