This humble little bowl of curly fusilli may look simple - some might even say boring - but it packs some serious flavour. It's our favourite little recipe of the year so far, replacing everyone's favourite Parmesan with some fluffy, zesty egg yolks! Believe you me, we were just as surprised. You definitely have to give this one a go. Just do it.
Ingredients, for 3-4 people
340g fusilli (we used Orgran Gluten-Free Spirals)
4 hard-boiled, large egg yolks
4 tbsp Mokhado Macadamia Oil
2 tsp finely grated lemon zest
4 tsp fresh lemon juice
1/2 tsp crushed red-chili flakes
salt and black pepper, to taste
- For perfect hard-boiled eggs, fill your pot with eggs with cold water from the tap up to 3cm/1in above the top of the eggs. Bring water with eggs to the boil. Once the water is boiling, turn off the heat/gas and leave to stand for 10-12 minutes. Rinse in cold water before peeling and halving to remove the egg yolks.
- Cook the pasta until al dente, following instructions on the pack. Once cooked, drain, but reserve 1 cup of the pasta cooking liquid.
- Meanwhile, finely grate the egg yolks and set aside.
- Heat 2 tbsp of Macadamia Oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add the lemon zest, lemon juice and red-chili flakes, ensuring its mixed through with the oil.
- Add the pasta and cup of pasta cooking liquid to the saucepan, stirring through so that the flavours cover and cook through all the pasta. Cook until sauce has thickened, about 4-6 min.
- Now stir in 1/3 of the reserved grated egg yolk, and season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Extra Option: If you can’t imagine a pasta without cheese, here’s your chance to grate over and stir through 1/2 cup of salty Pecorino Romano into the pasta.
- To serve, divide into bowls, covering with the rest of the grated egg yolks and drizzling over some more Macadamia Oil.
This recipe was inspired by the amazing Dawn K Perry.