Autumn is the season of coughs, colds and sneezes. Unless you’ve got the immune system of a superhero, you’re bound to come down with something nasty at some point over the next couple of months. When you do, this soup will be here for you.
Ginger is your saviour when you’re sick. It’s a natural antiviral, has anti-inflammatory properties and acts as an antihistamines. All of the antis you’ll be needing. The chilli is here to help ease symptoms of congestion, so add as much of it as you can handle.
The avocado oil is all about keeping your long term health in check - improving the ratio of good to bad cholesterol if you have it regularly and giving you a good dose of Vitamin E, the natural antioxidant.
Ingredients, for 4 people
- 1kg organic carrots
- 5-10cm chunk of ginger (according to taste), peeled and chopped or grated
- 1 red chilli, deseeded and chopped finely
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1-2 tsps honey (local, if you can find some)
- 600ml organic vegetable stock
- 1 tbsp Mokhado avocado oil, plus extra for drizzling
1. Peel the carrots and chop them into 1cm slices.
2. Heat a tbsp of the avocado oil in a large, heavy based saucepan and cook the ginger, chilli and garlic for around 2 minutes.
3. Add the carrots and cook, stirring, for a further 10 minutes, then add the sock.
4. Bring to the boil then let simmer for 30-40 minutes or until the carrots are tender.
5. Add the honey, stir and take off the heat.
6. Blitz in a food processor or with a stick blender and serve with another drizzle of avocado oil and some toasted seeds (optional).